Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Gift of Being Thankful

During this week I have had an opportunity to be busy, frustrated, frazzled, late, and stressed. You would think I might be upset about it but believe it or not I am thankful. Thankful to be so busy with my children that at times I don't even have time to fix my hair (pony tails are in aren't they?). Thankful that I have an opportunity to be frustrated with fighting sibblings, who forget where they put their shoes. Thankful that I am frazzled because we have to get to music class, tennis lessons, get our science experiment done, then get home and cook dinner before rushing off to a meeting for work. Thankful that I have the opportunity to be late for a lunch appointment because a child had taken off with the van keys and we spent 15 minutes scouring the house before they were located upstairs in the bedroom. Thankful that even though the stress of "getting everything done" somedays is more than I can stand. Thankful! Yes, I am thankful.

When I think of the alternative...lots of free time, relaxation, always looking my best, never late, and always calm. This sounds really good but at a price that I am not willing to pay. If this were my life it would be terribly empty. Think about it. Being single was fun and we did what we wanted, when we wanted to. But what did we all desire? We all desired to be married and have a family. And it is those precious children that have pressed in on our time, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. My first born son introduced me into the world of hemophilia with quite a jolt. There was no family history. So we were completely surprized and well as terrified at the diagnosis. But looking back now I would not change a thing. Though I do not like to see my son suffer with his bleeds and infusions I would not give up the wonderful character development that having Hemophilia has provided. Nor would I give up the wonderful friends and families that I have met through this tough disorder. The Hemophilia community has allowed me to meet such great, committed and commpassionate people (like all of you) who have inspired me and uplifted me in times of dispair. We can choose to look at Hemophilia as a blessing or a curse. But before you call it a curse, evaluate all of what you have been given (friends, personal growth, support, education and experiences). I choose to look at living with Hemophilia as a blessing. and I hope you do too!

Have a great day and take time to be thankful!

No comments: